Monday, August 22, 2011
A 22-year-old student of the
Federal University of Technology,
Akure (FUTA), Kehinde Akintunde,
committed suicide by hanging
himself in an hotel at Apata area,
Ibadan, Oyo State, over the
The young man, a 400-level
student of Civil Engineering,
reportedly checked into the hotel
at about 12noon on Friday, August
19, with a laptop bag he put on his
back and a bottle of water he held
in his hand.
Having paid for one night, the
deceased was expected to check
out before or by noon on Saturday,
but when the receptionist noticed
that he did not submit his room
key, she alerted the manager of
the hotel, Mr Ladapo Osu.
The manager reportedly informed
the director of the hotel who, after
waiting for a few hours to see
whether the guest mistakenly went
out with the key, instructed a
carpenter to break the door.
After opening the door, they were
shocked to find the guest hanging
on a rope tied to the hook of the
ceiling fan in the room.
The student, however, left behind a
comprehensive suicide note, part of
which read: This is the hardest thing
for me to do. Having to part with
my family this way. As far as I am
concerned, I have lived my life
(well, up to this point).�
Giving a reason for the suicide, the
deceased wrote: I felt like an old
man... like a person who has seen it
all. I can't just see any purpose in
living. Besides, if you can't help
build it, move to one side. Allow
others who can.
Friday, August 12, 2011
When will the post of vice chancelor of great federal university of technology be vacant will be vacant
vICE-CHANCELLOR There will be a vacancy in the post of Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA) with effect from February 8, 2012. Consequently, the Governing Council of the University has decided to commence in earnest the due process for the appointment of a Vice-Chancellor in accordance with the provisions of the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Amendment) Act 2003 and the Universities of Technology Act as cited in Chapter F23 of The Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004.
As it is imperative to give effect to the Vision of becoming one of the best Universities in the world, the University has prepared appropriate strategic and action plans to crease partnership with corporate organizations, notional and international foundations and trusts, embassies and individuals.
The Universitys Vision and Mission are as follows:
The Federal University of Technology, Akure aims to be one of the best Universities of Technology in the World, committed to carving out an enviable niche for itself as a centre of excellence.
The Federal University of Technology, Akure will ceaselessly promote technological advancement through motivated and skilled staff dedicated to teaching and research, geared towards global needs and production of self-reliant high level manpower, goods and services.
JOB TITLE: Vice-Chancellor
The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive and Academic Officer of the University, Chairman of Senate and a Member of the Governing Council. Among his other functions, the Vice-Chancellor shall:
- Be competent at all times to advise the Council on any matter affecting the policy, finance and administration of the University:
- Be generally responsible to the Council for maintaining the efficiency and good order of the University and for ensuring the proper enforcement of the statutes, ordinances and regulations;
- Be responsible for discipline in the University; and
- Regulate the admission of students subject to guidelines and procedures approved by the Senate.
- Have been a Professor in an institution of high reputation for a minimum of seven (7) years as at the time of this advertisement:
- Have extensive and deep experience in all facets of University administration and also capable of providing academic leadership and must be computer literate
- Be a person, who judging from his/her track records, can command respect both nationally and internationally in the academic sphere as well as have a track record of consistent and inspiring leadership;
- Be morally sound, of an impeccable character and integrity, free from financial embarrassment and enjoy excellent physical and mental health
- Must have specialized in a course that is relevant to teaching and research mandate of the Federal University of Technology, Akure;
- Have adequate administrative and research experience for a sustainable realization of the mandate and mission of a specialized University of Technology
- Must be a person who is not likely to pursue racial, ethnic, political, religious or other sectional interests;
- Be a person with such qualities and personality that can generate fund locally and attract funding from the international community to supplement government subvention; and
- Be a person who would not be older than 60 years on 8th February, 2012 when the post is scheduled to be occupied.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a single terms of five (5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellor in all Nigerian Federal Universities and as may be determined by the Government and the Governing Council of the University as appropriate.
Interested applicants are requested to note and comply with the following conditions:
- Each application (35 copies) should he accompanied by 35 copies of the candidates detailed Curriculum Vitae duly signed and dated by the candidate.
- The Curriculum Vitae must contain the candidates names in full, place and date of birth, marital status, number und age, of children nationality, academic qualifications (degrees with classes copies of certificates to be enclosed) teaching, research, administrative and managerial experience, academic distinction, membership of academic and professional bodies and scholarly publications; proven evidence of Academic Leadership and mentorship; as well as evidence of fund attraction for research and physical development.
- A statement of his/her own Vision of the Federal University of Technology, Akure in the next five years;
- In the case of a candidate identified by the Search Team, the Curriculum Vitae must be accompanied by a letter of consent, duly signed and dated by the candidate:
- Candidates must nominate three (3) referees who are to forward references on them directly to the Registrar and Secretary to Council.
- Such referees should be able to attest to the candidates claims to high academic and managerial capability as well as their moral uprightness. The references must be received and signed for in the Office of the Registrar on or before Friday, 23rd September, 2011.
- For candidates who are searched, references must be received and signed for in the Office of the Registrar on or before Friday 7th October, 2011 and
NOTE:Applications are to be submitted
under confidential cover, in envelopes marked at the
Upper Left Hand Corner Post of Vice-Chancellor, FUTA,
to reach the
Registrar and Secretary to Council
The Federal University of Technology,
CLOSING DATE: 19th September 2011 .
Interested candidates could also visit the University website: www.futa.edu.ng by samswag